[NABS-L] Proof of Purchase

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 23:02:31 UTC 2018

Hello Chris,

Yes, it is standard practice to provide a proof of purchase if you receive your textbooks from the disabilities office. The role of the disabilities office is to provide you with accessible textbooks and not free textbooks.

However, if there is a print copy of the textbook in the library or any other place on campus, you could ask the disabilities office to provide you with an accessible copy of the textbook to be checked out and used in the same manner as any other student on campus.

Some campus bookstores provide a brief period at the beginning of the semester to return textbooks for a full refund. So if you do not want to keep your print textbooks, you could return them to the campus bookstore after providing the disabilities office with the proof of purchase.

If we as blind students wish to compete on terms of equality with our sighted classmates, we must be willing to follow the same rules as our sighted classmates. This means purchasing our textbooks in the same manner as our sighted classmates.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth