[NABS-L] Proof of Purchase

Amy Sabo amieelsabo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 02:48:24 UTC 2018

hello chris,

this is a good question indeed.. when I attended my universities in
Colorado I was able to get most of my books in accessible formats like
learning ali or through the publisher sent to me via email through the
dss. but, before it was all done digitally, the dss would put my books
on tape but, now it's all done on cd or sent to me via email. if the
dss had a copy of the book in a electronic version in their collection
then I wouldn't have to purchase it or if it was through learning ali
then I didn't have to purchase it! but, if the book wasn't in their
collection of scanned books they would have to have me buy the printed
version so, they could break down the book so, they could scan it and,
then put it into msword version so, I could read it on my computer or
also put it onto my mp3 player too!  the reason for purchasing the
book is for copyright versions they need purchase that you purchased
it and, by that they will just make a copy of the receipt so, thety
can keep in file for you. so, just email them the dss your book list
each semester to see if the books are in a accessible format via
etext. if not then contact the dss. also, you can get that information
through the bookstore or through their web site too!  I woul also
check through learning ali, bookshare, amazon, and other accessible
avenues on your own before contacting the dss office. if these avenuse
don't have the books then go the route that I suggested above. you
should have your own membership through amazon, learning ali, and
bookshare! not one from the dss or your school's. when I began my
college career in 2000 the dss did this for me which was a major pain
in the butt and, I wasn't in control of my books or my own education
even though I was new to being a college student who was blind and, I
also attended a community college in Michigan too!

well, that's my ideas on this topic take care and, good luck in your
college carrer this semester!

hugs,
amy