[NABS-L] Is Braille Overrated?

Jameyanne Fuller jameyanne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 15:23:19 UTC 2018

While you might use a computer or listen to audiobooks, it is essential to
have all the tools you can, just like sighted students. Learning Braille
gives students fundamental understanding of grammar and spelling, improves
their reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, and ultimately
prepares them to be more successful in school and work. It would be
ridiculous to propose that sighted students only learn to read and write
through audio means. It's ridiculous for that to be considered for blind
students. I have a blog post ranting about this somewhere. I'll try to find
it.
Jameyanne