[NABS-L] Proof of Purchase

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 01:46:10 UTC 2018

Hi,
Wow. Interesting to hear some students find books with no trouble.
I know we have come a long way in terms of accessibility to ebooks, but when
I graduated years back in 2009, I did not experience getting books digitally
on a silver platter.
Anya, I find it very surprising you found all books on bookshare. Maybe your
professors used widely published and circulated books.

In fact, I don't use bookshare since none of my texts were on there except
for maybe some english books but I preferred audio formats anyway; so I used
my Recording for the Blind account which is now Learning Ally.

I always struggled accessing books. I would buy my books at the bookstore
and use a real human reader, yes the old fashioned way of a reader.
Yes, my school, Marymount University, had a dss office in case you're
wondering.
But, I found them to be slow in procuring the accessible electronic texts.
So, I used readers so not to fall behind.
And, even when I got electronic books from dss who got them from the
publisher, I found some pdfs rather unreadable since Jaws read them with
words stuck together.

I've gone back to school taking electives off and on through the years; even
now I find that Learning Ally and bookshare do not have the texts I needed;
not even when I took a public relations and  journalism class to further my
writing skills. I found older editions of the text through Learning Ally,
but with some differences and updated info in some chapters, I did use a
reader as well.

While my dss office did require the proof of purchase and so does my
community college now, they never scanned my personal copy. Instead, they
got the electronic file from the publisher for me or used an online library
universities can use called Access Text.
I'm actually glad they never took my books and scanned them. If they did,
they would have had to cut the binding for scanning and I then could not
sell to the bookstore.

Its good that students have it easier now. However, I still think using
readers is a skill worth having. Its helped me a lot for research because as
we all know the library has a huge print collection we cannot otherwise
access but with  a reader.
I often wanted to read more than I could for the papers though if the
subject was of interest. However, given readers can only read a few hours at
a time and I did not have endless hours to spend with them, we had to be
quite selective in what they read; often we would read exerpts of a chapter
and I found books with headings were so helpful and they then can read the
headings to me coupled with skimming. Then we could decide what to read
together. I was also fortunate to be able to afford to pay them; the state
vr agency can pay readers, but its only minimum wage and I felt this amount
was too low for a reader.

Ashley