[NABS-L] Equal Pay For Disabled Workers

roanna bacchus rbacchus228 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:23:09 UTC 2018

Dear Students,

I hope all of you are doing well and getting ready for a
fun-filled Washington Seminar.  I can't wait to read about it in
the next issue of the Braille Monitor.  As many of you know, I am
in the process of seeking employment.  I am working to complete
the certification course to become a literary braille
transcriber.  I began 2018 by contacting some local organizations
here in Central Florida to see if they provide employment
assistance for individuals with visual impairments.  Three weeks
ago, I called Inspire Central Florida formerly known as the
Seminole County Work Opportunities Program or Swop.  This company
provides jobs to individuals with developmental disabilities.  In
my discussions with the Administrative Assistant, I was outraged
and disgusted to learn that this organization pays its workers
fifty cents to a dollar per hour to complete a task.  This is an
example of a company paying subminimum wages to workers with
disabilities.  I believe that all disabled workers deserve equal
pay for their work.  What are your thoughts on this topic?