[NABS-L] Developing Skills to Manage Things Independently in Grad School

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:21:56 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. By way of introduction, I am a
23-year-lawyer from India who happens to be blind since birth. On
account of the accessibility barriers that the blind have to face in
India, I have mostly relied on sighted assistance all my life to get
most things done. I have had access to personal aides who've helped me
with mobility, organizational stuff, cooking, etc. I went to a local
college in my hometown for my undergraduate education, and used to
stay with my family during this period. Further, I used to stay with
very well-resourced relatives when I would travel to a different town
for my internships who could meet all my needs. So I've never really
had to truly fend for myself.

I will now be moving to Oxford for my postgraduate education. This
being the case, I was wondering if you could help me understand how I
might be able to deal with the following challenges:
A. Mobility - I will be provided O and M training when I move to
Oxford, but I am wondering what the best way of getting to a
particular location is. While I am reasonably able to get from place a
to place b (though not adept at stuff like road-crossing), I struggle
with orientation i.e. figuring out how to find my desired location. In
this respect, is committing all routes that one has to frequent to
one's memory the best solution, or should one focus on other things
like GPS applications?
B. I also need help with organizational stuff such as locating objects
that I may have misplaced, matching clothes, etc. Are there any
particular techniques that you use in these matters? I hear that
there's a device using which you can ensure that the object that
you're looking for starts emitting a beep, making it possible for you
to locate it by this sound. Have you tried it?
C. While I will have access to meals, what would be the best way for
me to learn how to cook some basic things?
D. Are there any other talking devices that you use which help you on
a regular basis?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Rahul