[NABS-L] Good News

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Jun 4 15:12:33 UTC 2018

Roanna,

I am hoping to clarify a few things for those on this list.  From what you
have said, I assume that you are going to get support from the Florida
agency to attend the Daytona center and that you would not have gotten
support to attend the Louisiana Center for example and that this is the cost
problem you referenced in an earlier post.  Is that right?  If so, others
should know that some states support sending their customers to training in
other states, including our training centers.  To my knowledge, our training
centers are pretty competitive in terms of the cost.  It can be an uphill
battle in some states, though, to get funding to leave the state for
training but even then, there are strategies one can use if that is what one
wants to do.

Since you mentioned cleanliness and professionalism twice, I have to ask if
this came from touring other centers and finding that not to be the case?  I
would be surprised if most training centers are not clean and have staff
that exhibit professionalism.

Finally, to get back to your original note, what are the issues regarding
leaving your family to go to training that concern you?  I gather your
parents are on board already since they accompanied you on the tour of the
Daytona Center.  I am probably not that different than many others on this
list in that I don't know your family situation.  Therefore, it is hard to
offer any sort of useful advice?  I believe that getting some training, no
matter which center you attend, is very important for your future and I am
glad you are doing it.  As one who has experience with one of our training
centers here in Minnesota, BLIND Incorporated, I believe that our centers
have something special to offer, but also respect that you have made a
choice and am glad you are moving ahead.  Please let us know specifically
what issues concern you about leaving your family for training as was
expressed earlier.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson