[NABS-L] taking an online math course in college

Kassandra Cardenas kassandrac at utexas.edu
Mon Mar 19 03:16:53 UTC 2018

Hello,

I was actually in this same situation a few years back--face-to-face
lectures, online work. I personally didn't use any braille while taking the
course, and I ended up getting an A. This obviously would have probably
been a different case if it was geometry or trig, for example, but as there
weren't many visual aspects to the course, I was fine.

Where I did have an issue, however, was when it came to entering my answers
into the application. The program I had was good about providing image
descriptions, but if you had to enter answers in things other than whole
numbers or multiple-answer choice, it was inaccessible. I ended up working
with a grad student so they could do this for me; I'd solve the answers
beforehand, write them down, and then meet with them so they could then
just plug them in.

Communicate with your professor, though. If something is inaccessible,
don't try and wait a few weeks in hopes that you can figure it out; say
something right away. Even if they can't do anything about it themselves
and you have to go through the SSD or the developers of the program, at
least they know that there is an issue. Make sure that you go to their
office hours if there are concepts you don't understand. If using braille
to complete your math is better for you, than by all means, try and obtain
that accommodation. It is definitely doable without though, so if you won't
be accommodated in that way, don't panic.

Also, please feel free to email me separately, if you need to at any
point--as someone who has gone through this exact situation. It is doable,
but it did get a bit stressful for me at times.

with warmth,
-K Cardenas

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 9:39 PM, Keri Svendsen via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org