[NABS-L] AIRA or Be My Eyes

Gary Wunder garywunder at me.com
Mon May 7 22:17:20 UTC 2018

I like both services. When it comes to anonymity, I think a person can argue
it either way. The paid people at Aira have signed a confidentiality
agreement, but there is no question they know who you are--an advantage in
most situations. But when you call Be My Eyes, the number of volunteers
outnumbers blind people needing assistance by more than 17 to 1. The sighted
volunteer doesn't know me from Adam. He or she can't get back in touch with
me, and I have no way of getting a hold of him or her again. If I want
anonymity, this is an advantage.

In terms of financial documents, again it is a matter of perspective. What
is the likelihood that someone offering to read to me is ready with a pen
and paper to take down confidential financial information? They do not have
a picture of what I'm showing them so can see it only as long as I have the
document in focus.

For my part, I am comfortable with either service. For anonymity I think I
would choose Be My Eyes. For confidentiality I might be more persuaded to
use Aira.