[NABS-L] Math query:

Kendra Schaber redwing731 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 07:37:11 UTC 2018

Hi all!
I have a math query that I’m trying to solve. Starting in the winter, I’m going to start my climatology degree. The degree requires a lot of math and a lot of science. There are several factors in this one but I’m asking all over the map for advise. I’m also not planning on taking courses in the coming summer because of a good chance of attending the NFB National Convention. I was informed that the summer classes are short anyway. I have been advised against it by everyone who I discussed summer to so far. Because of this thing regarding summer, this gives me another much bigger. query that I’m on a quest to solve. Before I get to the query itself, I need to put some factors on the table first. I might not get all of them but that’s all right because I have plans to delve deeper into factors that I’m not even aware of at this time. I’ll lay out the ones that I am aware of here because I want the best advise I can get from you all giving the information that I include here. My first class is Math111 which is an Algebra class. I only go up from there. I have to take more algebra classes, calcus, statistics and the like. I might even have to go higher than that in math. I have always either struggled in math or felt as though I have struggled in math. I have even used a math tutor in past math classes. That’s even taking into account of accessable technology at the time and my math skills to begin with. One problem that I have ran into when taking math classes in the past which includes the best tech avalible at the time and a math tutor is shear burn out. I simply want to avoid as much of that as possible. But I also want to keep the degree moving along the way the whole time I’m in school. I don’t know how Math112 will look in terms of studdying hours, homework and so fforth. But for now, I’ll use Math111 for example. I got my updated cylabus today and it calculated that on averige, a student requires around 2 to 3 hours of homework each hour of class. Since I have to take this class for one hour each week day, that means that I have to put in around 3 to 4 hours of my day devoted to math, including the classroom itself. I’m not including for unforseen factors of course. I’m just going off of the numbers the cylabus gave me in print. I might be faster, I might be slower. I might even change speed depending on when I run into parts that I master quickly and then run into parts that I struggle with the whole time I’m working. But that last factor is totally unperdictable. But I have the best technology I know of and I’m trying to sort out if I’m going to run into something that is totally inaccessible before I dare attempt at trying it in the class room. I think that if it’s totally inaccessible, that it’s too late to work around it except for compleetly unforseen surprises that are also unperdictable. I’m trying to sort out as many problems ahead of time as possible so that college will be a bit smoother. One factor that I don’t know anything about yet is how my writing class will look like. I don’t know what it’s homework load will look like. I also don’t know my schedule for my writing class will be like either. In fact, I know nothing about my writing class except for the fact that it’s called Writing90. That’s it!!! In any case, I also need to sort out my spring schedule followed up by my fall of 2019 schedule so that I can get my financial aid sorted out. On top of that, there are some classes that if I don’t take in the fall, I have to wait a whole year before I can make another attempt. I have to pick my advisor at the Counseling Center to sort that factor out. I have already scheduled that appointment. But I also have classes that are shorter and only take one term to cover. I’m not sure what those classes are without looking at my degree first. I do know this, I also have a writing class that I’m taking in the winter. I also have another writing class that I’m taking in the spring term. I have the option of taking another math class in the spring term as well. I also have the option of taking a math class in the fall term as well. I also have the option of taking a math class in the spring and another math class in the fall. I also have the option of taking my writing class along with something else that is not math in the spring term and then saving the next math class in the fall term. Mind you, no mater the options I have listed, the writing class is a constant class in the winter term and the spring term. But not nessearily in the fall term. I could take a science class in the fall term along with a math class. I personally would like to take a math class in the winter along with the writing class and follow that up with my writing class and something else other than math in the spring term. But I’m getting mixed and unsertain feedback on which route to take. Some have suggested that I keep up with the math class but explore all of my options. Others were simply, unsure. Still others said to get a math tutor. Someone else suggested that I take something that I’m good at in the spring and go back to math in the following fall. I even got someone who is totally unsure which route to take. I’m going to now give this one to you guys to look over and tell me what you think. Which route do you think is best for me to avoid burn out and also keep my degree moving?
One: Math and writing in the winter followed by a second math class along with a writing class in the spring term and then taking a third math class in the fall term?
Two: Math and writing in the winter followed up by a writing class and something else in the spring and then resuming math class in the following fall term?
I have heard both sides of the argument on which route will be best for me. Some people have reported that they do better when they get all of their math classes done at once. Others argued that they favore the break in between classes. I want the best inclusive feedback on this issue. What are your experiences? What do you think of all of this? Also, what is your advise on this cross road?

Thank you for taking the time to read this E Mail!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber,
 Chemeketa Community College,
 350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
 Home email:
Redwing731 at gmail.com
 Chemeketa Community College Email:
 Kschaber at my.Chemeketa.edu
Phone:
971-599-9991
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear" Author Unknown.
 Sent From My iPhone SE.
 Sent from My Gmail Email.
 Get Outlook Express for IOS.