[NABS-L] Math query:

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 15:21:59 UTC 2018

Good morning, Kendra,

Have you explored sciences like sociology? My own
journey as a college student at one time has
shown me sociology.  I hope that particular
science turns you on the way it did me. I found
out that, sociology (the study of different kinds
of people) is something that I could see present
in my own experience as well as in the many
vibrant cultures that I could see thriving (and
sometimes, dying) around me.it was therefore
relevant to how my own experience was unfolding.
Besides, I've never felt a part of anything, that
is, while going through my own life experience,
never did I feel that my own life experience ever
would or ever could be counted beside or amongst
those lives of others, so why not study other
deviant people? Don't freak out at mention of
deviance. All that is referring too is people
whom, for whatever reason, are not considdered
"normal" or otherwise represented upon the
almighty bellcurve or baseline. Don't you feel
this observation as a blind person, more than
applies to your own experience, too?
And, the only math that is required for this major is general math!
Carly 408-209-3239
Exploring sociology, Sociology of deviants
specifically, Don't freak out by mention of the
word, deviance. All that referrs too is a deviant
state, as in not "normal" that is, not otherwise
represented upon the almighty baseline for which
people are always reaching, but never actually
grasping. interested me the most)
     . Unfortunently, I have explored other
degreese before this one and also, just as
unfortunent, I have also discovered that they
either are not local or they require even more
math than what this degree requires. Do you know
of a science degree that doesn’t envolve math?
I sertainly don’t know of any. Society in the
United States have made it to where you can’t
become a climatologist or even any form of a
scientist without having to take a lot of math.
Unfortunently for those science nerds like me who
are much better at science than at math, it also
cuts folks like me off from being able to aquire
that degree without a lot of struggle in the math
department. I personally believe that there is
something totally wrong here!!! What do you
think? Thank you for taking the time to read this
E Mail! Blessed be!!! Kendra Schaber, Chemeketa
Community College, 350 Org, Citizen’s Climate
Lobby,    National Federation of the Blind of
Oregon,  Capitol Chapter, Salem, Oregon. Home
email: Redwing731 at gmail.com Chemeketa Community
College Email: Kschaber at my.Chemeketa.edu  Phone:
971-599-9991 "When the student is ready, the
teacher will appear" Author Unknown. Sent From My
iPhone SE. Sent from My Gmail Email. Get Outlook
Express for IOS.    > On Nov 14, 2018, at 13:20,
Roger Newell via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
wrote: > > I would suggest reconsidering your
choice of a degree. If you have > always
struggled with math and will likely continue to
do so, you are > putting your potential for
academic success at risk by undertaking a > dgree
with a significant mathematical component in
which much of the > material will be even more
complex than what you are used to at > school.
What you are attempting to do is analogous to a
person who > wants to become an astronaut not
being good at science—it simply won't > work and
you will have lostt precious time. > >> On
11/14/18, Kendra Schaber via NABS-L
<nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote: >> >> >> Hi all! >> I
have a math query that I’m trying to solve.
Starting in the winter, I’m >> going to start
my climatology degree. The degree requires a lot
of math and >> a lot of science. There are
several factors in this one but I’m asking
all >> over the map for advise. I’m also not
planning on taking courses in the >> coming
summer because of a good chance of attending the
NFB National >> Convention. I was informed that
the summer classes are short anyway. I have >>
been advised against it by everyone who I
discussed summer to so far. >> Because of this
thing regarding summer, this gives me another
much bigger. >> query that I’m on a quest to
solve. Before I get to the query itself, I
need >> to put some factors on the table first. I
might not get all of them but >> that’s all
right because I have plans to delve deeper into
factors that I’m >> not even aware of at this
time. I’ll lay out the ones that I am aware
of >> here because I want the best advise I can
get from you all giving the >> information that I
include here. My first class is Math111 which is
an >> Algebra class. I only go up from there. I
have to take more algebra classes, >> calcus,
statistics and the like. I might even have to go
higher than that in >> math. I have always either
struggled in math or felt as though I have >>
struggled in math. I have even used a math tutor
in past math classes. >> That’s even taking
into account of accessable technology at the time
and my >> math skills to begin with. One problem
that I have ran into when taking math >> classes
in the past which includes the best tech avalible
at the time and a >> math tutor is shear burn
out. I simply want to avoid as much of that as >>
possible. But I also want to keep the degree
moving along the way the whole >> time I’m in
school. I don’t know how Math112 will look in
terms of studdying >> hours, homework and so
fforth. But for now, I’ll use Math111 for
example. I >> got my updated cylabus today and it
calculated that on averige, a student >> requires
around 2 to 3 hours of homework each hour of
class. Since I have to >> take this class for one
hour each week day, that means that I have to put
in >> around 3 to 4 hours of my day devoted to
math, including the classroom >> itself. I’m
not including for unforseen factors of course.
I’m just going >> off of the numbers the
cylabus gave me in print. I might be faster, I
might >> be slower. I might even change speed
depending on when I run into parts that >> I
master quickly and then run into parts that I
struggle with the whole time >> I’m working.
But that last factor is totally unperdictable.
But I have the >> best technology I know of and
I’m trying to sort out if I’m going to run >>
into something that is totally inaccessible
before I dare attempt at trying >> it in the
class room. I think that if it’s totally
inaccessible, that it’s >> too late to work
around it except for compleetly unforseen
surprises that >> are also unperdictable. I’m
trying to sort out as many problems ahead of >>
time as possible so that college will be a bit
smoother. One factor that I >> don’t know
anything about yet is how my writing class will
look like. I >> don’t know what it’s homework
load will look like. I also don’t know my >>
schedule for my writing class will be like
either. In fact, I know nothing >> about my
writing class except for the fact that it’s
called Writing90. >> That’s it!!! In any case,
I also need to sort out my spring schedule >>
followed up by my fall of 2019 schedule so that I
can get my financial aid >> sorted out. On top of
that, there are some classes that if I don’t
take in >> the fall, I have to wait a whole year
before I can make another attempt. I >> have to
pick my advisor at the Counseling Center to sort
that factor out. I >> have already scheduled that
appointment. But I also have classes that are >>
shorter and only take one term to cover. I’m
not sure what those classes are >> without
looking at my degree first. I do know this, I
also have a writing >> class that I’m taking in
the winter. I also have another writing class
that >> I’m taking in the spring term. I have
the option of taking another math >> class in the
spring term as well. I also have the option of
taking a math >> class in the fall term as well.
I also have the option of taking a math >> class
in the spring and another math class in the fall.
I also have the >> option of taking my writing
class along with something else that is not
math >> in the spring term and then saving the
next math class in the fall term. >> Mind you, no
mater the options I have listed, the writing
class is a >> constant class in the winter term
and the spring term. But not nessearily in >> the
fall term. I could take a science class in the
fall term along with a >> math class. I
personally would like to take a math class in the
winter along >> with the writing class and follow
that up with my writing class and >> something
else other than math in the spring term. But
I’m getting mixed and >> unsertain feedback on
which route to take. Some have suggested that I
keep >> up with the math class but explore all of
my options. Others were simply, >> unsure. Still
others said to get a math tutor. Someone else
suggested that I >> take something that I’m
good at in the spring and go back to math in
the >> following fall. I even got someone who is
totally unsure which route to >> take. I’m
going to now give this one to you guys to look
over and tell me >> what you think. Which route
do you think is best for me to avoid burn out >>
and also keep my degree moving? >> One: Math and
writing in the winter followed by a second math
class along >> with a writing class in the spring
term and then taking a third math class >> in the
fall term? >> Two: Math and writing in the winter
followed up by a writing class and >> something
else in the spring and then resuming math class
in the following >> fall term? >> I have heard
both sides of the argument on which route will be
best for me. >> Some people have reported that
they do better when they get all of their >> math
classes done at once. Others argued that they
favore the break in >> between classes. I want
the best inclusive feedback on this issue. What
are >> your experiences? What do you think of all
of this? Also, what is your >> advise on this
cross road? >> >> >> Thank you for taking the
time to read this E Mail! >> Blessed be!!! >>
Kendra Schaber, >> Chemeketa Community
College, >> 350 Org, >> Citizen’s Climate
Lobby, >> National Federation of the Blind of
Oregon, >> Capitol Chapter, >> Salem, Oregon. >>
Home email: >> Redwing731 at gmail.com >> Chemeketa
Community College Email: >>
Kschaber at my.Chemeketa.edu >> Phone: >>
971-599-9991 >> "When the student is ready, the
teacher will appear" Author Unknown. >> Sent From
My iPhone SE. >> Sent from My Gmail Email. >> Get
Outlook Express for IOS. >> >>
get your account info for NABS-L: >
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/redwing731%40gmail.com