[NABS-L] Nonacademic support in college

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 11:16:36 UTC 2018

Hello Rahul,
I am just catching up with this thread now, sorry about that.

We have worked together before and you know I live in the UK so I hope
you will take what I am going to say in positive terms.

The university is responsible for your education and they are also
supposed to be committed to your pastoral care needs. Personal care is
your own responsibility to manage. I agree with what has been said
above that the disability department/centre should have contact
information for the organisations which can help you. The issues you
described, (shopping, cooking etc), fall under the auspices of Social
Services. A local organisation for the blind will point you in that
direction, assuming they do not have their own socialworkers in
residence. Some of this used to fall into different categories;
Personal Care and Home Help. These days, however, I understand that
carers function in both if you are contracting through an agency or
getting a carer to work privately with you.

Have a lovely weekend and get in touch with me off list if there's
anything else you need to know.
We could always Skype if that's easier.
Very best wishes,
Sandra.