[NABS-L] ACT score

Mausam Mehta mausam.mehta.nfb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 04:11:08 UTC 2018

Hi Ahbee,
I got a 27 on the braille version of the ACT. What got me was the science portion. Even with the mandatory triple time, I took an inordinately long time to read through the graphs. I agree with Emmie; it is definitely a test of comprehension and patience. You really have to blast through lots of questions, while keeping your mind sharp and looking out for tricks.
I actually did much better on the SAT than the ACT. I think it really depends on how you test. The ACT has a broader focus, while the SAT really hones in on conceptual understanding. At The end of the day, it’s a personal preference.
I used an electronic Princeton review prep book to study for the ACT. I’m not sure how much it actually helped, but that is neither here nor there at this point.
The best advice I can give you is to do your best. Don’t spend too much time on one question, and try to think objectively, because standardized tests tend to primarily test you on how well you can take tests.
Good luck, and feel free to reach out if you need any help with scholarship applications.
Take a deep breath. This is a busy and exciting time.
Best,

Mausam Mehta
Board member | National Association of blind students
A proud division of the National Federation of the blind
(540) 466-6033
mausam.mehta.nfb at gmail.com

www.nabslink.org