[NABS-L] Question About Microsoft Excel and Access

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Oct 30 20:05:35 UTC 2018

Justin,

It might be worth bringing this question to the NFBCS list on NFBNET.  I
know there are some Access users, there, but you are not the only one who
gets frustrated with access.

I have not been in Microsoft Access for a while, but if you use JAWS and for
the short run, be sure to try JAWS KEY and Up Arrow when in the field type
choices.  I have found that sometimes that reads the current item even when
JAWS doesn't read the current item automatically when pressing UP or DOWN
ARROW.  Another thing that can work is to temporarily set what is spoken to
"ALL" using JAWS KEY and s.  This will speak too much, but sometimes you
will hear the item that became not selected followed by the new item that is
selected.  Sometimes pressing the first letter of the desired choice will
get you there as well, but I can't say for sure that will work in the case
you are describing.  Check to see if your virtual cursor is on and if it is
try turning it off with JAWS KEY and z.  The virtual cursor and related
features sometimes are used in cases other than web pages.

It is probably worth making sure you have any enhanced scripts that might be
available.  If you are going to do a lot with Access, getting to the most
recent version will probably be worth it in the long run.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson