[NABS-L] Tips on using a support cane

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 9 18:23:23 UTC 2018

Hello Rania,

I found it easier to use crutches or a walker instead of a support cane. The crutches do not take up any more space than a long white cane and a support cane. And I know from personal experience that it is possible to get around in tight or small spaces while using crutches.

I found crutches to provide more support than a support cane. And using the crutches meant that I did not have to switch hands to use my long white cane. Instead, I simply used the crutch that was on the side where I normally use my long white cane in a similar manner as my long white cane. I was already walking rather slow, so I found sweeping one of the crutches out in front of me before taking a step forward worked well for me. You already need to position the crutches ahead of you as you step. So I simply swept one of the crutches across my body to make sure I was stepping in a place that was safe for me to step.

I do not have much experience using a support cane or crutches with stairs though. I normally use the handrail on the side of my bad ankle. And when I step, I place my good ankle on the next step while leaving the bad ankle on the previous step. This way I am placing more of my weight on my good ankle rather than my bad ankle. I still have problems with my ankle even though my injury has healed.

If I were using a support cane or crutches, I would place them on the next step to help me keep my balance as I am stepping up to the next step. But you can try different things to see what would work best for you. You can also find various boots and braces to help provide more support for your ankle as it heals. You can get a boot type caste that immobilizes the entire ankle from your doctor, or you can get a lace up support brace from a rehabilitation supply store or a good athletic store. I have always found the lace up support braces to be helpful even though they are a bit of a pain to put on.

Anyway, I hope this helps you figure out a way to get around as your ankle heals. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth