[NABS-L] tech for college

Kendra Schaber redwing731 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:42:04 UTC 2018

Hi all!
 I’m also getting ready for college. I’m also going through learning about the latest and greatest apps out there for college. I don’t think all states have this but in Oregon, you can take classes at the local Commission for the Blind. I’m taking a tech class there so as tthe result, I’m getting to learn about the latest requirements for a blind science student because I’m going into that field. I agree with all the information regarding the computer and a braille note taker. But I have more to add here. When you  do get a P.C. Computer if that’s the one you want, you’ll need to know all of the latest platforms because the latest thing for college is to be able to use Black Board, the Microsoft office sweet and the Google office sweet. You have to be able to work with shared documents, be able to create spread sheets and put some of your work on to the internet. Because of this, the Google office sweet is a must in college. Depending on what your degree is going to be, also depends on how advanced you need your tech. For example, if you are getting a degree in writing or simular fields, I think that you might be able to get away with working with a Mack computer but you’ll need Office Word or Google Dox because they are both best for editing documents to my knowedge. If you are going into any science field of any form, you can’t get away with a Mack computer. Darn it!!! You have to work with the most advanced and most accessable technology that you can get your hands on. For this, you would need a PC computer equipt with the best office sweet programs, all of the top known internet brousers, all of the Microsoft Office sweet, all of the Google office sweet, Doxberry, all of the big programs that blind people use for being able to read as widely diverse documents as possable, the widely apps that you can get for accessability to your textbooks a braille note taker for all of the math that’s required, particularly the Polarious Braille Sense and you can’t forget the things like either a printer or access to a printer just in case your teachers ask for printed metereals. When I started going into the tech part of my college preparation, I found out right away that I couldn’t have a Mac computer because the software is not accessable at the levels that are required for the sciences. Because of this, I have spent all spring, summer, fall and possably, this coming winter learning all about how to use these tules on a Pc computer. My old one is so old that most of the latest versions of the programs are not compadible on it. I have a computer with Windows XP installed on it and the old JAWS 9.0. So, it’s truely a dinosaur for a computer. I can’t use that in college at all! I wanted to convert to a Mack because I’m already half there with my iphone but unfortunently, no such luck for me. I have to be just iphone loyal instead because the computer that I have to work with and will most likely get from the Commission for the Blind in Oregon will be a PC computer. On top of that, I also have to get a braille note taker myself for advanced math and the best access to my textbooks, I also have to go with the Polarous Braille Sense which itself runs on the Android platform but is compadible with the PC and IOS platforms. I have to be just as diverse with my tech platforms as I do in working with the diverse groups of people that are in my growing network. You might have to be just diverse in your own degree. Bare that in mind as you get ready for college yourself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Redwing731 at gmail.com
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Kschaber at my.Chemeketa.edu
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
Sent from my iPhone SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email