[NABS-L] Action Needed ASAP - Accessibility Matters

Kathryn Webster, National Student President nabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 03:15:40 UTC 2019

Dear Students,

We so appreciate everyone who participated, or thought about participating,
in our What's On Your Mind Wednesday question via social media this week. If
you were one of the mighty thinkers, or just missed it amidst the other
distracting Facebook posts or were bogged down with finals season, don't
worry! There is still time!

As part of a greater initiative for the National Association of Blind
Students, we are mobilizing our efforts around exciting news! On Friday,
December 6, 2019, blind students across the United States of America
marveled at the great news of the introduction of the Accessible
Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act (HR 5312) which works to
equal the playing field for students in higher education. Now, we need to
drive this effort home by sharing our stories with Congress, but we need
your help to make it happen! Washington Seminar is right around the corner,
but time is of the essence.

We are asking you to write a short blurb about a time you faced an
accessibility challenge with educational materials and what the passage of
AIM High would mean to you. Our goal is to hear from every state by December
23, but we also want you to share the below far and wide. The voice of a
blind student reaches new heights as it relates to this bill. You can see a
sample and submit your statement through our Google form at:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf68TacBetKMAHZcMhGJLmYgeWDIjjpSm9S
z1OUwYKxzsIEAg/viewform

We will be sharing these stories with your representatives on social media,
by email, and in person. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach
out to NABS Board Member Trisha Kulkarni at trishak.nfb at gmail.com
<mailto:trishak.nfb at gmail.com> .

We need you; we appreciate you; and we want this for all of us!

Love,

Kathryn

Kathryn C. Webster

President | National Association of Blind Students

A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind

 <mailto:Nabs.president at gmail.com> Nabs.president at gmail.com | (203) 273-8463

www.nabslink.org