[NABS-L] Meeting with leader.

Selvin Linder sflinder775 at access.alamancecc.edu
Sun Feb 24 03:20:33 UTC 2019

YEA group News

The Joy A Shabazz Center has started a YOUTH Empowerment and  Advocacy
Group and we had our first meeting on  Thursday Jan 24 2019 at the Glenwood
Library. It was well attended  with youth and an advisory committee of
different  community self advocates.

Our ideas for this group is to encourage and teach Self Advocacy and
Empowerment skills to youth from the ages of roughly 18 to 30 to prepare
leaders in advocacy to continue progress in human and civil rights for
people with disabilities . The February meeting will virtual on 2/27/2019 ,
hopefully to begin regular face to face meeting in March 2019.

On Friday Feb 1. 2019 The Joy A Shabazz center and the Winston CIL
Presented to the UNCG Housing Hangout group of over 60 students and
community providers who met on the campus to discuss this months topic
Disability
Housing . Jeanine Moran shared a historical perspective of the Independent
living movement started with her personal super hero ED ROBERTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1n379TcS-U&feature=youtu.be

The response was positive, with many agency and more community contacts
were established. Housing Hangouts are every first Friday on various
housing community needs and initiatives . The upcoming schedule is at
https://chcs.uncg.edu/about/housinghangout/

Good questions guys. Here are some answers don't worry about signing up.
Just call in the number along with the access code. I just respond to this
email if you are interested. Let be strong leaders . I just want to have a
number for how many people will attend the meeting.

if you have question about the website use the life chat and I will connect
to answer your questions