[NABS-L] Job Interview: Seeking Advice on Disclosing my Disability

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 11:16:27 UTC 2019

Hello,
I'm not saying it's easy or straightforward. Most of the time I get an
interview which may or may not lead to the job, ocasionally, I don't.
I remember one instance when the employer wrote to me, saying they
didn't think a blind person could do the job. In situations like that,
you would never be able to work with people who think like that so,
from my point-of-view, it works out fine.

The flip side to this is that Most of my work when I left school was,
so to speak, normal administrative/office work. Most of what I do now
is performing. When I'm not doing that, I present on the radio and
teach Braille Music. Also, my website and a number of other websites
available to the public do mention my disability. Anyone could look me
up if they want to so I'd rather they hear it from me, on my terms,
first. If anyone else wants to keep it hidden until they believe it to
be the right moment,keep in mind that employers look people up on the
social media sites so you'd best hide it when talking to friends on
the Internet as well.

Very best wishes,
Sandra.