[NABS-L] Spatial Orientation Experiences

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 01:09:14 UTC 2019

Hi Amy,
I'm also totally blind and had always had issues with spatial orientation.
I find it difficult to create mental maps. Tactile maps aren't helpful for me because I can't translate the page into my mental map, although if they work for you that's great.
What helps me is to write a route down. For example, this week I have an intensive program on a campus I have been to, but that is in a building I haven't. My mom and I went to the campus ahead of time and did it a couple times. I took intensive notes on what to do and where to turn. This way, even though I can't necessarily remember the whole route yet, I still have the notes that I can rely on.
Of course, if you get lost you can always feel free to ask for help if you can't find it, but this can really maxime your independence and boost your confidence.
Hope this helps,
Vejas