[NABS-L] Questions About The Mac book Pro

Maurice Mines maurice.mines at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 17:41:05 UTC 2019

Hi here is my answer as best as I can gather from your post. If you
already know how to type you do not need this program. Just using
voiceover will do nicely. If you’re currently in school, high school
college grad school etc. it might be advisable to maybe think about
adding a braille display to what you’re doing. But again that is also
not critical if your hearing is good.

How to turn on voiceover, command F5 is your friend. That toggles
voiceover on and off. Unless your computer is shared with someone who
does not need voiceover support, I would strongly recommend just leaving
voiceover on 24 seven. So that you can use your computer effectively at
all times.

If you’re looking to replace your computer, here are some things you
should keep in mind, one what are you going to use the computer for? If
you were in school please think of your academic program if you are in
postsecondary education, if during college in you are in a stem field is
a major course of study, I would highly recommend a very good MacBook
Pro machine. I would not however recommend a top-of-the-line machine.
Unless you’re doing rocket science work for NASA, you don’t need it,
thus you will not need its nearly $3000 price tag. Any of the mid range
MacBook Pros should do the job nicely. If your field of study does not
require heavy duty computing, and you don’t use any additional
software that requires for instance a 2.0 GHz processor and/or foster, a
MacBook Air will do just fine. Those machines run at 1.7 GHz. And Apple
has programs that help students to afford such a machine. This by the
way is true in general if you are a college student. But I would be
careful when you purchase your machine if you are a full-time student.

Apple provides price breaks on these machines only at the beginning of
fall semester, which is typically from the very end of July through the
middle of September each year. This can save you 15 to 20% off of the
MSRP of a new machine. Another possible suggestion that you are a client
of vocational rehabilitation in your state you can certainly write a
justification letter with supporting documentation asking for said
machine for educational purposes. In addition to this, if you are not
just blind but deaf blind and you can explain how you would use a
computer in situations other than an academic setting, you can reply to
the I can connect program, this program has certain financial
restrictions and of course you must be Blind as defined and/or diagnosed
by a medical physician. If anyone has any questions about my response to
this post please feel free to ask

I currently am a nontraditional student who just so happens to hold a
political science degree and an information systems degree from two
separate universities. And I do have some graduate work in educational
technology. I have done some professional consulting in the past, and
I’m learning sign language currently to better prepare myself for work
with I can connect I am deaf blind but I keep up on technology in
general and adaptive technology issues.

Sincerely Maurice Mines.
Amateur station callsign kd0iko.
VP national Federation of the blind of California Bakersfield chapter.