[NABS-L] Your advice and expertise is deeply appreciated

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:58:20 UTC 2020

Hello Ayoub,

I use JAWS as my screen reader, but I am sure these suggestions should work for Voice Over on a MAC computer as well.

First, if you are not already using a headset for the phone, then I would suggest using one. This would allow you to use the computer more freely as you are typing.

Second, there should be options as to how the computer announces things as you type them. In JAWS you can select an option that allows you to hear the characters, words, character and words, or none as you are typing on the computer. Perhaps you can adjust these options to see what works best for your situation.

Finally, practice typing things as you are listening to them in real time. There are countless things you can find online. Or something as simple an audio book could work. I would suggest starting with something that is familiar to you and then progressing to something similar to what you would be doing for the job.

Lerning new skills and adopting to change can sometimes be challenging. But a little hard work, creative problem solving, and practicing a new skill are all things that can be done in any situation.

I hope you can find a strategy for success that works for you.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth