[NABS-L] Do you Disclose Vision to College Roomates?

Sami Osborne sami.j.osborne97 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:16:26 UTC 2020

Hi Nic,

I think to be honest people will notice right away, especially if you have a cane or guide dog. I'm glad that you're already in communication with your dorm mates (since they're not in the same room as you but in the same dorm, they're considered "dorm" or "suite" rather than "room" mates), which is a luxury I didn't have when I first moved into my dorm, resulting in my roommates as well as others looking down on me due to my blindness and hearing impairments. I also discovered that my two roommates (they stayed in the same room as me) I had duffing my freshman year (or rather, my parents informed me) were weed smokers, and they often stayed up past 3 AM. In the beginning of that first semester, they would also get into my personal possessions, especially when I returned home on weekends, until I finally complained to the RA about that. So I should probably just let you know first off that you're the luckiest blind college freshman ever! LOL.

As far as disclosure, like I mentioned earlier, your dorm mates are likely to notice your blindness right off. What I would suggest is letting them know about what makes you most comfortable, such as leaving the bathroom door open unless someone is using it, that way you'll know when it's safe.

Hope this helps.

Sami