[NABS-L] biology

Nina Marranca ninam0814 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 13:08:22 UTC 2020

I took standard biology and also college level biology.
Tactile models worked well for me for a variety of concepts, even some you might not initially think of, such as genetics.
I did not have a Talking Lab Quest or any such devices. I think they could've been helpful though.
I utilized a scribe for exams and had notes in Braille. I found that much of the class material was easily readable and able to be referenced or memorized for assessments. Labs, however, were more tricky. We had lab groups in my college bio class. I prepared the reports and analysis, while describing the methods for the experiments to the others in my group. They would then dictate and describe what the saw the results to be. There were several problems with this, so if a student can get technology to do as much of the labs as possible, I recommend it. You don't want to get points deducted because people you're working with interpreted visuals wrong.

Nina Marranca
Moderator | National Association of Blind Students Mailing List
Co Chair | Communications Committee
Secretary Treasurer | New York Association of Blind Students
ninam0814 at gmail.com