[NABS-L] Applications for both scholarships and College

Nina Marranca ninam0814 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 19:55:52 UTC 2020

Hi, Adriana!
I personally used thee Summer between my Junior and Senior year to begin my college search. However, I always tell other students to start as soon as they want. This is especially helpful if you wat to visit a lot of schools because I found that many open houses conflicted with each other.
You may also start researching scholarships. You may not be able to apply for them until your first semester of your Senior year, but it is extremely helpful to keep a list of scholarships you are eligible for, the dates the applications open, links to the applications, application requirements, etc. Many scholarships will require essays or something similar, and if you do not prepare, you could end up with a stack of ten essays to write within a few short weeks. Talking from experience here. __
There is so much money out there for students if you know where to look. Your intended major/career, your interests, and any unique qualities about you are just a few places to start when searching for scholarships.
Doing a simple Google search when looking at both colleges and scholarships is a great way to start.
As for the FASFA, I don't know with one hundred percent certainty all of the info required, but a lot of it has to do with taxes and family income. Guidance counselors can offer assistance with this, just as staff in college financial aid offices can also help. I work on my college campus and know for a fact that those in the financial aid office are more than happy to answer your questions or even sit down with you to do the form. You may run into some accessibility barriers, especially if you utilize a screen reader to fill out these forms. However, do not let the FAFSA or your state aid application scare you. everyone fills these out each year, and there are tons of people who can help.
Best of luck!
Nina