[NABS-L] question about textbooks for college

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:46:53 UTC 2020

Hi Nesma, first of all, it's amazing that your disability office
can get you books so quickly.  When I was in undergrad, it often
took much longer.  I suggest talking to instructors as soon as
possible.  They've almost certainly had to put book orders in
already, and the holdup is now the bookstore actually getting the
books.  Just tell your instructors that you're blind and so you
need to know early so you can get the books in an accessible
foormat.  That also gives you some buffer time if there is an
issue with the publisher, which happens sometimes.  Another thing
worth doing is checking if your university library has digital
access to the books.  It took me a long time to realize just how
many ebooks I can get for free from my library without going
through DSS or Bookshare or the like (basically all books
published in the last decade or so by Routledge, Springer,
Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, etc. are
probably available to you that way as accessible PDFs).

Best,
Karl