[NABS-L] board position 4

JASON ALAMILLO leadershipjba at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 05:15:12 UTC 2020

Hi Elizabeth. I do think that your analysis is so right. It did feel like the now former president was overbearing, and i do remember when the young student tried expressing her opinio, Kathryn did make it seem like she just wanted to do it all herself because she had the right knowledge to do so. I kow she said in a post and email that she consulted with the board, the new president and others, but that doesn’t change the circumstance. Nobody in the organization got to witness y of those talks, so by any means, we have to assume that there were no such communications unless there are records to prove it. Also, trying to use the virtual situation as an excuse is unacceptable. If the national organization was able to figure votng out during live general sessions, then i do not see why Kathryn and the rest of the board couldn’t do that themselves. You are right that by shutting down the one concern that was raised, most of us felt like she would do the same thing to us. I am so tired of NABS being controversial for the wrong reasons. The shenanigans that leadership pulls off every time are being watched. People go back and they relay that information back to the people back home who couldn’t go to such an expensive convention in person. This was done in such a horrible way. Also, saying that the constitution changed should have been brought up to the members. Saying that oh, the web master is no longer with us and that’s why we couldn’t get the new and updated constitution online, it’s just an excuse as the now forer president said herself that it was changed three years ago without our knowledge, so they had ample time to update it. It was just a power grab. This makes no sense in any fashion. It makes me want to leave the division that has meant so much to me, where i’ve gotten to make so many new friends and expand my family. But with leadership failing to bring a just and Democratic way to vote over and over again, it is horrendous that it keeps happening and doesn’t instill trust in the leadership and nor do they deserve it. I am happy to see what the new board under Trisha Kulkarni will do to expand the students division, although under the same style of leadership as in recent years, and what it will do in advocating for blind students. I have zero confidence in the students division and i am hopeful that the new leadership can change that.
One last thing, we didn’t get our vote and i think that all students should remember this for next time, as the person who lost the third board election was never contacted for the job. Lets remember this. Lastly, i think that there are too many students who are too loyalist and don’t use their own voice to express their own opinion and fail to criticize where it is needed. Those that just go with whatever leader is in charge and what they want to do do not look at things objective and look at things from another viewpoint.

Sent from my iPad