[NABS-L] Trouble obtaining accessible textbooks.

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 00:01:16 UTC 2020

Hi Justin, the policy you mention is federal law.  The law allows
you to get a digital copy of your books from the publisher, but
it requires you to pay for them like everyone else.  That's
equality not discrimination (the financial aid policies, on the
other hand, are awful, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that).
You might, however, be able to work with your disabled student
services and arrange for them to order your books now but not
give you the files until you show them a receipt.  In my
experience two weeks is pushing it for turnaround.  The person at
your disabled student services who actually orders the books will
probably have the best assessment of the turnaround time for
those specific publishers.  Also, FYI Bookshare's speed for
ordering and preparing books is usually 2-4 months, though
they've slowed down significantly with the pandemic.

HTH,
Karl