[NABS-L] FW: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1766

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Thu Jun 18 10:34:30 UTC 2020

From: NFBofSC <nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of David Houck via
NFBofSC
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:40 AM
To: nfbofsc at nfbnet.org
Cc: David Houck <nfbsc at sc.rr.com>
Subject: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1766

June 17, 2020

Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

Positive Note 1766

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

              As a result of the Covid 19 virus, many of the large rentals
Rocky Bottom was expecting to have during the first part of this summer
cancelled which would have most certainly created a financial hardship for
the camp.  However, On June 8, I was excited to learn we had received in the
mail an unrestricted grant in the amount of $10,000 from the Leclerc Charity
Fund located in West Union, South Carolina.  This grant will help to offset
the loss of substantial rental income we would have incurred during the
month of June. Rocky Bottom is extremely fortunate to have received this
wonderful grant at this time, and we are deeply appreciative of the Leclerc
Charity Fund's generosity.

              I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who
registered for the 2020 NFB national convention which will be occurring July
14-18.  Although we will not have the final numbers for registration until
convention, I believe   South Carolina will again finish in the top ten in
attendance.  Also, many thanks goes to those chapter presidents and others
who worked very hard to provide assistance to members who were unable to
register by themselves.

              We have an announcement from the President's note book
regarding the national convention.  "Vernon Humphrey, President of the
National Association of Blind Veterans, is reaching out to all veterans that
will be taking part in the national convention so they can participate in
the annual Celebration of Freedom. Please contact him at
mr_president at nabv.org or 706-329-7960 if you are, or you know of, a military
veteran that will be participating in convention this year."

              Now that the deadline for registration of the NFB national
convention has passed, it is time for all of us to begin registering for the
NFB of SC virtual state convention which will be held August 21-22.
Although this will be our first ever virtual state convention, I am
confident this will be our best Convention to date!

              There will be no cost for registration.  To register online
for the 2020 NFB of SC state convention go to our website nfbofsc.org.  If
you need assistance with the online registration, call Steve and Shannon
Cook (803) 254-0222 or David Houck at the Federation Center (803)
254-3777and they will be happy to assist you.  Deadline for registration is
July 31, 2020.  If you do not register you will not be eligible for door
prizes.  Also, to be eligible to participate in the election of state
officers and five board members, you must be registered for the convention
and be a dues paying member of the NFB of SC.  If you have not paid your $10
NFB of SC state dues, you can do so, as the deadline to submit dues is July
1.

              The 2020 NFB of SC state convention will include most of the
elements our members expect, with some new variations.  Division and
Committee meetings will be held on Friday August 21, as well as the third
quarter meeting of the NFB of SC Board of Directors.

          The Convention will be called to order Saturday morning, August
22, and will adjourn at the conclusion of the banquet Saturday evening.
Further details regarding the NFB of SC state convention will be discussed
in subsequent Positive Notes and will appear on our website, nfbofsc.org.
So, please stay tune!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want:
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:  Transforming dreams into reality:  In order to turn your
dreams into reality, find a mentor who is successful at your dream who will
give you sound advice, and better yet, one who will make you an apprentice
or intern!