[NABS-L] Accommodations for deaf-blind students

nmpbrat at aol.com nmpbrat at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 03:34:44 UTC 2020

Vejas,Let me preface my comments by stating that I am not deaf-blind but I am a special education teacher.  I have not had specifically a deaf-blind student but have had both deaf and blind students, so I am familiar with some of the assistive technology used with both.  In addition, I am visually impaired myself.  As Maurice mentioned, a good start would be to use a FM system.  I have had numerous deaf students use them successfully and they are easy to learn to use.  They can be made to work well with your hearing aids.  It is unlikely that the college will provide you one but I would seek out assistance from your vocational rehab in your state to obtain one for use.  It could be used in a variety of settings, not just the classroom.  In addition to using it for hearing the teacher, my students have also been able to use it to hear speech output from the computer instead of headphones.  That may of benefit to you as well.  I'm sure your audiologist could give you more specific information on it, as my students always had an audiologist I consulted on things as well.  Best of luck to you.Nicole