[NABS-L] Attention: An Important Message from the National Association of Blind Students in Response to the Covid-19 Outbreak

trishak.nfb at gmail.com trishak.nfb at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:31:41 UTC 2020

In this notice, you can find:

*	A link to the NFB's blog post entitled "Don't Be a Barrier: Be
Accessible NOW"
*	Information and a link to our new Inaccessibility in Online
Education Support Form
*	An announcement from Aira Tech Corp
*	Details on a Remote-only workshop with Ed Summers, Director of
Accessibility, SAS; and Chancey Fleet, Affiliate-in-Residence, Data &
Society Research Institute, happening Thursday March 19

To Our NABS Community,

Over the past few weeks, we have seen the outbreak of a new strand of
Coronavirus sweep the globe in what has qualified as a worldwide pandemic,
and as a result, millions of students are now facing the reality of remote
education. We in the National Association of Blind Students recognize the
additional accessibility challenges that these measures pose to our
community, and we, as a mighty division of the National Federation of the
Blind, want to do everything in our power to support blind students in these
unprecedented times. We invite you to read the NFB's blog post that was
published on Monday March 16, 2020 entitled
<https://www.nfb.org/blog/dont-be-barrier-be-accessible-now> "Don't Be a
Barrier: Be Accessible NOW" for more information from the national office.

We will be sending out more updates in the coming days and weeks with
helpful resources to tackle spring classes; however, we recognize that
access barriers vary greatly among individuals, and we want to work directly
with you to answer questions and formulate solutions. That is why we are
beyond excited to launch our Inaccessibility in Online Education Support
Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeXoK5sWCpBjvAu4EMOANUufEoJPyUlu4Q
eJnMB6pIdeohmsg/viewform> , where students, parents, and educators alike can
reach out to leaders of the National Association of Blind Students directly
for individualized support. We intend to respond to all requests within 48
hours of filling out the form.

Although the need for online accessibility is more apparent than ever, we
are grateful to also have NFB partners supporting us during this time. Here
is a message from Aira Tech Corp that was sent out on Tuesday March 17,
2020.

"Free Offer - College Students in Need of Aira

We know that many universities and colleges are rapidly shifting to distance
learning.  We've heard that some materials and software being used are
inaccessible so we will be offering free Aira for any college student for
the remainder of the spring semester ending in May 2020.  If you know of a
student who could benefit from Aira for their distance learning, please
email support at aira.io <mailto:support at aira.io>  for more information on the
program."

Finally, we understand that one of the most daunting realities of these
circumstances is navigating STEM coursework online and wanted to share an
opportunity to learn more about data visualization for the blind. More
details are below about a Remote-only workshop with Ed Summers, Director of
Accessibility, SAS; and Chancey Fleet, Affiliate-in-Residence, Data &
Society Research Institute, happening on Thursday March 19, 2020.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to reach out to
myself or the rest of the NABS Board. We are here for you and are excited to
see this community break down the artificial barriers that stand before us!

All the Best,

Trisha Kulkarni

She/her/hers

Legislative and Self-Advocacy Committee Chair | National Association of
Blind Students

A Proud Division of the National Federation of the Blind

trishak.nfb at gmail.com <mailto:trishak.nfb at gmail.com>

www.nabslink.org <http://www.nabslink.org>

Remote-only workshop with Ed Summers, Director of Accessibility, SAS; and
Chancey Fleet, Affiliate-in-Residence, Data & Society Research Institute

Thursday March 19, 2:00 - 3:30 PM

People who are Blind or visually impaired do not have equal access to
quantitative information including charts, graphs, and maps. For example,
many of us simply cannot perceive the data visualizations and dashboards
that are regularly published by mainstream news organizations. As a result,
we often have limited or nonexistent access to critical data, including
information we need to make informed decisions pertaining to our work,
finances and health. As charts depicting the spread of Coronavirus and
modeling how to flatten the curve are seen and discussed worldwide with
Blind and visually impaired people largely excluded from the conversation,
we are starkly reminded that nonvisual access to data is vital to our
equality and well-being.

The charts and graphics popularly known as "data visualizations" can - and
should - be represented in formats that Blind and visually impaired people
can use.

This remote-only workshop is presented with Ed Summers, a blind Computer
Scientist and leader in the field of accessible data visualization, who will
guide us through an accessible, multimodal exploration of data. Participants
will gain timely insights about key charts, including material pertaining to
COVID19 that has become ubiquitously available to sighted people in recent
weeks.

The presentation will use high contrast visuals in conjunction with
sonification (explorable audio output). After the presentation, participants
will be able to explore these and other charts, graphs, and maps themselves
using the free SAS Graphics Accelerator software.

Please register to participate in this online-only workshop by emailing
Chancey at datasociety.net <mailto:Chancey at datasociety.net>  or calling Chancey
at 347.632.8383. You may choose to participate on Zoom through either a web
link or a dial-in number.