[NABS-L] Audio Description

Max Smith maxs71055 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:09:42 UTC 2020

How did audio description start? Who did it? Why has closed captioning become ubiquitous while audio description has to fight for hours? It's ten years since the CVAA was passed; the anniversary is this month! Should we push for changes? There are very few people who have the comprehensive knowledge of audio description that is possessed by the ACB Director of the Audio Description Project, Dr. Joel Snyder. He will be my guest on the next Tuesday Topics and you will get a chance to ask the questions you want answers to about this complex and fascinating subject. Join us on Zoom on October 27th a little before 7 PM Eastern time or listen live on ACB mainstream at 7 PM.
We will be using Zoom Webinar. I am overjoyed to have Rick Morin as my co-host for this series. Without him, Tuesday Topics wouldn't be happening! We will also probabl y have some other good folks helping with streaming!
Zoom allows people to call in using their computers, using an app on their mobile phones or dialing in using either a mobile phone or a land line. If you are using your computer, go to  https://zoom.us/j/887066437. If you have downloaded the zoom app on your mobile phone you can join the meeting using the app and clicking on the link above. You can also open the app and then go to join meeting and double tap. Then type in the code 887066437. Then go to join again and double tap it. You will then be given the opportunity to connect using internet audio. Double tap that and you are connected. When you join your audio will be muted and you can't change that! It is likely if you arrive when you should that you will get a message that says we have not started yet. We will invite everyone in around five minutes before we start the actual live program. Before we start we will try to get information about who is there so we c an better manage giving you a chance to speak. Please use a head set so there isn't a lot of feedback as you listen and speak!
Either using your mobile phone or a land line you can connect just as if you were dialing into a more traditional conference call. There are several available call in numbers but I will describe only two while listing the rest. These should get you in. From New York dial (929) 436-2866 and enter the code 887066437 followed by the pound key. You may be asked for another code but just hit the pound key again and you will be joined into the meeting. The same approach applies to the California number which is (669) 900-6833 and the code is 887066437followed by the pound key. After that, if you need to, hit pound again and you will be with us. There are other numbers you can use followed by the same code. These are (312) 626-6799, (253) 215-8782, (301) 715-8592 or (346) 248-7799. Keep these numbers because they will apply to future Tuesday Topic shows.
If you just want to listen, you can hear us on ACB Mainstream every Tuesday at 7 PM Eastern time and also at 7 PM Pacificon Mainstream West. The first edited repeat is at 7 AM on Wednesdays and Tuesday Topics can be heard again at 5 AM and 5 PM on Sundays. These times are correct for ACB Mainstream East and ACB mainstream West at Eastern and Pacific times. Join us on October 27th at 7 PM Eastern time or by 6:45 via zoom if you want to participate with us! If you are just going to listen, remember you can find ACB Radio Mainstream and mainstream West on your computer or on ACB LINK, an app you can download for your IOS or ANDROID device. You can also listen on the Amazon smart speaker, commonly called Alexa by saying "open the ACB Radio Mainstream skill" or "open the ACB mainstream West skill". You can also listen on any phone, land line or mobile, by calling (518) 906-1820.
You can now get our podcast from any podcast source. Look for "acb Tuesday Topics".
Vision happens when video is described with audio!