[NABS-L] Conference On How Students And Professionals Are Succeeding In STEM

Louis Maher ljmaher03 at outlook.com
Fri Feb 12 11:17:50 UTC 2021

The Science and Engineering Division of the National Federation of the Blind and the National Association of Blind Students are presenting a joint Zoom conference on how blind college and graduate students, and blind professionals, are succeeding in courses and Careers to do with science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.  The Zoom conference link will be the standard NABS Zoom link shown at the bottom of this message.  The call will occur at 9 PM EST through 10 PM EST on Sunday, February 28, 2021.

Topics will be of interest for blind students in middle school, high school, college and graduate school and professionals. Parents of blind school-aged children and educators are also welcome.

Currently, the scheduled speakers, topics, and talk descriptions are:

Speaker: Neil Soiffer
Title: Methods for The Blind to Electronically Read and Write Mathematics from Primary School
Through College

Speaker: Gene Kim
Title: Where Humanities, Social Science, And Engineering Collide: Perspectives on The Value of Interdisciplinary Study and Research
has undertaken many blindness accessibility research projects in the Human Computer/Machine Interaction space. He will also share resources and tools he
has found useful in studying Computer Science, Mathematics, and Engineering.

Speaker: Newton Nguyen
Title: Trial and Error: Towards Faster Methods of Learning STEM Skills as a Blind Student
Description: The growing inter-disciplinary nature of science education and practice, alongside rapid technological advances, has forced science students and professionals to learn new skills at an increasingly  rapid rate. However, a lack of centralized resources, coupled with a longer training period to learn new technical skills, threatens to leave blind students behind. In this talk, I will briefly share some new initiatives and possible pathways to ease the acquisition
of technical skills, in addition to sharing my own personal experiences as a student and researcher.

Speaker: Emily  Schlenker
Title: Muscle memory and the microbiology lab: how being totally blind did not hinder me from learning the various techniques and aseptic procedures in what has
always been portrayed as a very visual discipline.
Description: As a biology major, one of the requirements was to complete a general microbiology lab. I was able to do this with a few basic modifications and a whole
lot of practicing and though I spent a lot of time feeling awkward and uncomfortable, what people do not tell you is that almost all students who are faced
with these new techniques feel the same way and are experiencing difficulties.

If you have any questions, please contact Louis Maher (713-444-7838, ljmaher03 at outlook.com<mailto:ljmaher03 at outlook.com>).
-----
Join Zoom Meeting:
February 28, 2021, 9 PM EST