[NABS-L] Is Top Hat Accessible?

Kendra Schaber kschaber at my.chemeketa.edu
Wed Mar 31 04:59:04 UTC 2021

Hi!
I’m currently taking Spanish where I use Top Hat almost every day I’m
taking such classes since I’m in the middle of a 2 year course serries. In
Top Hat, I have found that it’s most accessable with NVDA, not JAWS. Also,
if there are immmages with vocabulary words, they are not likely
accessible. So, if you get any vocab words, try getting them in a list or a
more accessible form. Match items where you are suposed to drag and drop
are either not accessible or have obscure commands. I’ve not had luck with
them whenever I’ve run into them in Top Hat. I’m not expecting you to get
any questions where you have to listen but in case you do, from my
experience, Top Hat was hooked up to YouTube which is accessible with NVDA
while on Top Hat. I warn you, it’s rather clunky so if you get any
questions where you either write or have multiple choice, you’ll have to
use navigation commands or spend more strokes up and down between the
question and the answer area than in some websites or apps. If it’s K
sensitive, you’ll be marked incorrect in less everything including
spelling, grammor, punctuation ECT are used. I highly don’t recamend the
Top Hat app because it’s not accessible hardly at all on an iphone. I don’t
know if Android users have better luck with accessability to the Top Hat
mobile app. Most blind people who I know of who’s used it; all in their own
Spanish classes, have not particularly enjoyed it. If I were to rate it; it
would get 3 of 5 stars on the desktop website and only 1 of 5 stars on the
mobile app. I hope this helps!!!
Kendra