[NABS-L] How To Stop Jaws from Reading All Punctuations

Doug Oliver oliver.doug1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 08:17:57 UTC 2021

Here's the steps to change JAWS for punctuation.
1. go to the JAWS Window.  You do this by pressing insert plus j.
Note: if you are already in the JAWS Window after you've pressed insert j,
you will hear no feedback from JAWS.
2. Once in the JAWS window, press alt plus o to go to options menu.
Down-arrow once in the options menu to go to the voices submenu.
3. once in the all voices area, tab down until you see punctuation up arrow
until you hear none.
4. tab down until you find rate, and change it to your desired rate of
speech.  Alternatively:
You can press Control, plus alt, plus windows key, plus page up or page
down.
Note: this keystroke will make the rate change permanent, so do take care
when choosing your rate settings you choose.
After you've made your desired changes, you can then go on about what you
want to do from there with the desired rate, and punctuation settings.

To recap, I wrote you instructions for changing the rate of speech, and how
to change the punctuation settings with JAWS.  If you have any questions,
please write me at the following.
Oliver.doug1 at gmail.com
Thank you and hope this helps,
Doug