[NABS-L] Accessibility of Comic Books

Melissa Sprouse mldaisy2001 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:38:34 UTC 2021

Hi,

I've been wanting to read comics for a pretty long time now, but am unable
to due to the fact that they are not accessible. I am incredibly glad to
know there is someone who is willing to go the extra mile to ensure comics
become accessible to us, as well. From what I understand, comics are
comprised of images depicting what's going on, and when the characters are
speaking the dialog is written in a graphical format. But, and please
correct me if I'm wrong about this, comics are just another form of
storytelling or scripts written for shows and movies, so perhaps the way to
start making comics more accessible for the blind would be to add image
descriptions to the action that's going on, while turning the dialog into a
text format that screen readers can understand and relay.

Melissa