[NABS-L] College website accessibility

Kendra Schaber Kschaber at my.chemeketa.edu
Fri Jan 14 20:00:53 UTC 2022

Hi Armando,
My school has an accessability statement on their website. I have not
actually read it, but I have seen the link many times. I know what you
mean about advocating to improve your school's website. I'm currently
advocating to include a more inclusive help section on my own school's
website. The problem is that there is a general lack of access to the web
developers and those that have the power and ability to actually improve
these websites. We're not exclusive to this problem, I had a formal
teacher email me yesterday and she too informed me that the powers that be
won't let even her improve my school's website. I think there needs to be
more access to places that allow for feedback and also, there needs to be
more opportunities to self advocate to improve these websites. Also, are
you having general issues with accessing your school's website? If so,
you'll want to contact your disability service's accessable media person,
if you have one, and if not, sign up for your school's disability
services, even if you don't feel the need. The reason is so that if you
run into problems with accessing your school's matereals, no matter where
they pop up, then, you'll have your foot in the door, therefore, that
includes the ability to improve your experience as a student. I hope this
helps!
Kendra