[NABS-L] Free At-Home COVID Tests from US Postal Service

Sami Osborne sami.j.osborne97 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:06:18 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I personally don't think taking an at-home test may be very feasible at this point, blind or sighted. I understand there may be issues with scheduling and things of that nature, but it appears that the problem is most people (disabled or not) don't know how to use the at-home tests correctly. I've heard that if you're not using the test properly, it can actually yield a false negative whereas you might very well be positive (albiet something like 1 in 98-99 percent chance). So I personally feel that if you want/need to take a COVID test, it would probably be better to have it done by a  professional who actually knows what they're doing.

If you have a drugstore nearby, you can always go down there and request a rapid test, or schedule an appointment for a PCR. I, for instance, traveled to France last month to visit my maternal relatives (my first time traveling up there in well over two years), and I had to get tested right before returning home. I was fortunate that there happened to be a pharmacy right within walking distance from my hotel, so I was able to walk down there and obtain a rapid test the day before my flight back home. Additionally, in a few weeks I'll be traveling down to Bethesda, Maryland, to the National Eye Institute, to see if my total blindness since birth may be the result of a rare genetic disorder (something that has always been a mystery to my family and I). Before arriving there, the receptionist told me that my parents and I would all need to schedule a PCR test no more than 72 hours before the appointment, and she told me that they don't accept any rapid COVID tests (so likely no at-home test either);  they absolutely must be PCR. That's probably the very reason at-home testing isn't always 100 percent reliable to begin with.

My apologies for the unnecessary personal anecdotes here, but as you can probably tell by my message, I personally don't think this issue is unique to the blind. It seems just as easy for a sighted, able-bodied person to botch their at-home test, even, perhaps, with the instructions they have at hand. I'm not against anything the NFB is doing about this, but I honestly don't know if they can really do much about this if sighted people are having the same problem.

I hope everyone has a good start to their spring semester, or whatever you're doing currently.

Thanks,

Sami