[NABS-L] Online clases, accessibility, and the law

Kendra Schaber Kschaber at my.chemeketa.edu
Thu Jun 2 01:33:22 UTC 2022

Hi all!
When one attends college, it's important to disclose one's disability
because without doing that, one is much worse off due to accessibility
issues. Since online classes are not universal design and are also not
consistent across the board in the accessibility department, any more than
in person classes are, it's extremely important to disclose your
disability because it's the only way to have a remotely fair shot at
succeeding in college of all levels. I believe that if you're disabled and
you don't disclose it, you're practically asking to fail in the long run
because it's built for the sighted and able-bodied world, not the disabled
world. I don't care if the class is online, in person, over Zoom or any
form of a hybrid. If you're taking any class at all, you'll have your best
shot at success when you disclose your disability because your disability
alone can hold you back, particularly when it gets in the way of passing a
class without the right accommodations. I also believe in planning for
classes as though I were planning a space flight mission at NASA because
there are enough problems with accessibility even when you get the right
support that it could derail your education when these kinds of issues
prevent your ability to succeed. Some classes are totally inaccessible
without any form of accommodations. When you're taking online courses, I
think one disadvantage is that you don't have the same sort of access to
your school's disabilities department which makes the whole thing ten
times worse without a disability disclosure to your school. Even then,
you'll still have to use your resources, but this time, in combination
with the resources from your school. As for the legalese, if you're in
school and you sign up for an online class, you have the same rights to
your accommodations that you would if you were taking an in person class.
Some of the resources may be different, some are less accessible and
others may be impossible online, but none the less, the rights are the
same for online as in person, but unlike in person, you're spending more
time on your own with your own resources, even when you do combine them
with your school's resources. Because of this, in the online world, I
don't recommend anyone to just depend on their school's disability
department. Use them in tandem with your own resources, but do it as
required since every class is different, but the same goes for every
subject, every teacher, and even, every available resource. I hope this
helps!
Kendra