[NABS-L] Online Schools

Kendra Schaber Kschaber at my.chemeketa.edu
Wed Jun 15 22:12:50 UTC 2022

Hi!
I have never done an online only school so I don't know how they work other
than that they only work online. As for online learning, I have taken online
classes at my community college, mostly as the result of the Covid pandemic.
In general, colleges that offer online use the same accessibility
requirements that in person classes do so long as you work through your
school's disability service office and that they know about your disability
in the first place. Even with the same accommodations as in person, the
matereals are not always accessible, and they are patchy at best. I just
finished two school years worth of Spanish classes. Each year, they used a
different website which had accessibility bugs that had to be worked out via
the developers of the actual websites because they are often third party
websites that are not part of your school's main website, even when
connected up through Canvis or Blackboard. Even when bugs get fixed,
sometimes, the websites themselves are not helpful, such as the ones which
required me to work specific verb forms in Spanish class. They were not
helpful to me with these verb forms, but working the verbforms were not
caused by accessibility issues. In contrast, I took a number of culture and
literature classes online that gave me very few troubles with accessibility
and they were also very helpful as well. Even so, there are some classes
that are too visual for the online world which require in person attendance.
I also wouldn't touch math or science online with a ten foot pole either
since they also open up way too many questions regarding accessibility. I'd
rather take those subjects in person. Despite unhelpful websites, I don't
mind language learning, literature, or culture classes on line so long as
the website or websites are also helpful in my overall progress in learning.
When one uses online classes, we often have to relay on our own resources in
combination with the school's resources because they're not as accessible as
they would be in person. As for the timing of online classes, I think they
take more time than in person classes because you're almost on your own for
accessibility, even when combined with your school's resources, you're on
your own for research, and again for doing the homework itself, and you
don't show up for lectures or other in person appointments. If you use Zoom
for a virtual class that's also synchronous, meaning that you have to show
up on Zoom like you would for an in person class, then you would have to
show up and you would have to make sure everything for your course is
accessible as well. No matter the format, you still have to keep up with
deadlines, appointments and due dates. It's common for homework to be due on
Sundays at 11:59 PM, but it's not always the case since some classes have
more than one homework due date per week and others require something done
before you show up to class if it's done virtually but over something like
Zoom. On the other hand, you don't have to worry about transportation or
where you live so long as you don't have to show up in person. I don't know
how one could survive in an online school, though it's possible to do so
because I have never attended one before. I hope this helps!
Kendra