[NABS-L] Hebrew and Greek?

Justin Heard braillemasterjustin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 21:02:18 UTC 2022

Hi there.

I studied Ancient Greek for five semesters. For all your transcription
needs and help, contact Sara Blake Larose. Here is her email.

sarah at sarahblakelarose.com

I don't think it's any more visual than any other language. Your
professor probably thinks its visual because it uses the Greek alphabet
instead of the Latin one. Beyond that, s/he is probably worried about
the charts and paradigms that they use, but Sara or another transcriber
can make those in a table format for you. Both of my universities paid
for it, but if they refuse for some reason, talk to her and she will
work it out with you.

Just make sure you have double time on any evaluations. It will most
likely take you longer to do the assignments, not because Greek will be
harder for you, but navigating between the charts, the text your
reading, and looking up vocab words I think is harder for us. There's
just a lot to juggle. Sighted people have to do this too, but they can
more easily browse dictionaries by flipping through pages. Unless you
get everything in hardcopy braille, which I don't recommend, you'll
either have to browse through .brf files, or use an online dictionary.
With an online dictionary, you have to type in a word in the format that
it wants, which I never figured out. I depended on websites like Perseus
and TLG. Both had the texts that I was reading, and I could click on a
word to look it up. Perseus, though, is less dependable with definitions
than TLG. Additionally, some professors won't let students use Perseus
and TLG on exams because they both provide grammatical information,
which kind of defeats the point.

Sighted people also have a easier time browsing charts because they can
travel straight down the column. Because these are .brf files, there's
not an easy way to do that. There are jaws scripts that allow you to
read Ancient Greek on the computer with a braille display, which makes
navigating charts easier, but I liked using the .brf charts better,
despite the fact that they were slower. If you know computer braille, or
can pick up a few easy tricks like I had to do, then it makes searching
through .brf files in notepad on your computer. Why would you read them
on your computer and not a braille display? Because if you're using
Perseus or TLG, or your professor didn't send the assignment off in time
for it to be transcribed, then it ends up being a hybrid situation.

If your professors send you digital Greek assignments, they cannot send
you scanned files. As of now, no screenreader recognizes Ancient Greek
with OCR. they have to be typed out. I never had a professor send me
scanned Greek, but I did warn them ahead of time so maybe that's why.

You do have some advantages over your sighted peers. Because UEB braille
relies on the Latin alphabet, the Greek alphabet translates more easily.
For example, the a symbol is alpha, b for beta, k for kappa, etc. The
tricky part is accents. All of Ancient Greek braille is uncontracted, so
the contractions serve as accents, or in some cases letters. For
example, the th sign is for theta. Your class will spend maybe a week on
the alphabet, and most students will still be looking at charts for a
couple weeks after that. It took me about three days to get it. The
accents were trickier for me than they were for my sighted peers, but it
still didn't take me long.

I hope this is helpful. Sara is around to answer questions, even if she
can't help transcribe for some reason. You can always reach out to me if
you have questions or need help. Or if you just want to rant. Trust me,
Greek will probably make you angry, frustrated, and you might ask
yourself if it's really worth it. You might have weeks where you want to
throw it all a way, or have panic attacks. Luckily, it's not because
your a blind person learning Greek. It's because Greek is hard, and your
sighted peers will be having the same experiences. I did my best in
Greek when I partnered up with a sighted person, and when we
complemented each other. Where I was weak, she was strong, and vice
versa. We could also look up things faster that way. I often focused on
grammar and she would look up vocab. Hopefully, you can find a good
partner.

I hope this helps. I know this probably wasn't comforting, but you're
taking Greek, so you must be okay with discomfort.