[NABS-L] Braille Support on a Chromebook?

Emmanuelle Lo singingemmanuelle at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:19:24 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I hope you all have had/are having a good end to your school year.

I'm writing because I am going to be starting a new job as a Latin teacher in a couple of months, and in order to do that job, I will be relying heavily on a braille display, but I found out from my school that they give all the teachers Chromebooks as their work computers, and I'm unsure if ChromeVox, the screenreader on the Chromebook, has good braille support. Has anyone used a braille display with Chromebook? If you have, what was your experience like? Were you able to read Google Docs in braille? I am wondering if I should ask my school to provide me with a Windows computer and use NVDA instead, but if the Chromebook works fine with braille, I don't really want to ask for a different computer when I haven't even officially started the job yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Emmie