[NABS-L] Equal Access to Seating on Public Transportation

Sami Osborne sami.j.osborne97 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:02:37 UTC 2023

Hi again all,

I think Kendra's tips are pretty spot on, and I won't add anything more to them on here.

I do have something else to add that I forgot in my reply the other day. When traveling on any kind of public transportation, I've found that it helps if you have good travel skills using a cane and guide dog. For example, when I travel on a plane, I prefer to get assistance getting from the check-in desk, through security, and to the boarding gate at the airport (I might also request help if I need to use the restroom or want to grab a bite to eat as well). This is because airports and train stations are very open spaces, with not a whole lot of physical landmarks to help guide us. As a result, they're sadly not the best type of environments for blind people to be able to navigate on our own.

On the other hand, however, I can just use my cane when going down the jetway to get to the plane. This is because contrary to the general area in the airport, jetways/jet bridges are easy to navigate with a cane. There's a wall on the right hand side (and possibly on the left as well) that you can trail which helps guide you along the path from the terminal to the plane. Being able to enter/exit the plane on your own is especially helpful on an airline like Southwest, which as I mentioned earlier, has no assigned seating. If I were to get assistance down the jetway, then chances are the person helping me might automatically just bring me to the front-most seat on the plane. I personally hate the front rows on planes, primarily because you have no other option but to stow your carry-on bags in the overhead compartment. I like to listen to my Victor Stream when I'm flying on a plane, and I have much easier access to my bag when sitting in the back, since I can just stow it underneath the seat in front of me. Plus, when finding my own way towards a seat on the plane using only my cane, it's very likely the flight attendants could see that I was independent, and just as capable of doing at least some things the same way as sighted people.

I know I'm probably starting to ramble a little here, but the general gist of my email is that it  definitely help tremendously if you can do at least some things on your own, and not be fully 100% reliant on the airport or station employees for just about everything just because you happen to be blind... when you're traveling on a train, for example, you could try to find an empty seat using your cane. I'm not exactly sure how it works on Amtrak since I've never taken that on my own before, but I do know each car is separated by a door. So you can use your cane to try and find the door opener, then use your orientation and mobility skills to calculate how close or far you might have to travel to find an empty seat. Your cane or dog should let you know whether a seat is empty or occupied. Then, if you want to grab a bite to eat during the ride, ask the conductor where the cafe car is located in relation to where you're currently seated (in the airport, I usually just ask the gate agent to direct me to where the jetway is located in relation to the ticket counter using verbal directions. If they try to offer me help going down the jetway, I usually just tell them I don't need it. Sometimes they might send someone to follow me down the jetway, I guess just to make sure I make it safe and sound onto the plane. However, that person is typically walking right behind me and is therefore not personally guiding me).

So yes, it definitely helps a lot if you can incorporate your O and M and travel skills into your travels. I'm obviously not a mind-reader, so I can't tell what goes on inside the minds of airport and station employees. However, it's very likely that upon seeing a blind traveler finding a seat and/or entering and exiting the plane or train independently (along with just advocating for themselves), they might be thinking something along the lines of, Hmm. This person may be disabled, but maybe they're not completely incapable. That's definitely a good thing if nothing else.

Once again, I hope all this info is helpful, both what I just shared as well as in my other reply.

Thanks again, and please have a good evening.