[NABS-L] Reading out loud in class with a text book

redwing731 at gmail.com redwing731 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 20:15:06 UTC 2024

Hi Asia!
Normally, I'd say that you could participate in this kind of activity, but giving what you said here, they stacked the cards against you in a way that's so unfair that they unwittingly blocked you completely out of reading aloud in class in this particular class. They also unwittingly pulled an illegal move against you because it's also against the American's with Disabilities Act. I wouldn't worry about the American's with Disabilities Act just yet because of the work that's going on to fix this problem. I'm wondering, does your grade require participation points with this activity? If so, you can talk to your professor and explain why you're currently not able to take part in this activity, especially since you can't realistically keep up with the requirements of the specific kind of word search and section search at this time with what you currently don't have available to you. You can also point out how unfair this activity has been slanted against you as the result of this particular resource that your professor requires you all to use in class and probably your class homework. Sure, it's also important to point out that your team is working on a solution to solve this problem, but until that happens, you'll need to argue your case in favor of alternative activities or assignments instead. No, it doesn't mean that you can't take notes on what the other students read aloud to you and the rest of the class. This does not mean you can't ask your professor for other ways of getting the same info or opportunities to actually work with your professor or other students outside of class since from what it sounds like, the info is required to pass the class, let alone the fact that there might be participation points involved. I would go so far as to bring up options on how to pass this class without being able to read aloud in class yourself, especially if participation points are on the line because those points can be a large enough amount to make a day and night difference on your ability to pass or fail the class. As an aside, you can inform your professor that it's illegal to make the course work inaccessible to disabled students, especially if your professor gets more of them in the future, and in less your professor retires next year, they will surely get more disabled students in the future. You'll need to let your professor know that you are also still willing to work with them to get around the problem before escalating it farther. This is the fair way to tackle it after all because bugs of this kind happen way to often, particularly because the gaps in the law also don't allow us to make the most of what's out there in the internet of things. Let's face it, your professor probably doesn't know about the American's with Disabilities Act which in my book, that should be a required part of any teaching degree, but I don't think it's included in the core education, which should be changed to include that info in my book. Until that happens, if it ever does, we have to deal with the result of teachers not getting that missing peace of education that should be there. I for one, believe that if this education was there, teachers would do a better job at working around these problems as they're building their courses, even when it's not their job to be the experts. I think they would build accessibility into their courses from the ground up instead of having to build it in later. I think they would benefit greatly from this education in general because it effects their whole entire career just as well as it benefits us because it also effects our own college career. In any case, I think you got a good and fair argument against being able to read aloud in class, giving the wall that's totally blocking your ability to actually carry it out in a functional way. I hope it doesn't take all term to fix the problem! I also hope this helps!
Kendra