[NABS-L] College computer concepts course

Terri Stimmel icecreamlover76 at outlook.com
Mon Feb 19 13:51:29 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

First of all, I really appreciate the thoughts, and suggestions,
regarding my struggles with the computer concepts course. This has all
been helpful to me.

Also, Noah mentioned that it might be helpful to know some things about
me. As well as what is expected from this class. That way, maybe people
might be able to help me a bit better. So, I thought that I would share
as much information as I could.

I will start out with a bit about myself.

I am 47, and am in my second semester, at my local community college.
This is my second time attempting college. The first time I tried this
was back in 2004. That was a horrible experience! I really never thought
that I would want to ever try going to college, again.

However, I surprised myself. After volunteering with a crisis chat
service for a while, I decided that I would like to attempt to become a
social worker. I don't even know if this will be possible, at my age.
Or, even where I live. But, I figured I would try. If I don't end up
doing this type of work, then maybe I might discover something else I
really enjoy.

I live in Missouri. I have lived out here for about 10 years now. I
don't really feel this state has all that much to offer, when it comes
to working with blind individuals. But, this has just been my personal
experience.

I am totally blind, and have been this way since birth.

I am currently using a laptop with windows 11, and, the latest version
of Jaws.

I also have Microsoft Office installed.

I do have some experience using NVDA. Although, I have more experience
using Jaws. And, I use it more often.

I also have an iPad. But, I haven't tried using this for school. I have
considered it though. Just to see if some results might be different.
Although, I do know that for this class, we are not encouraged to use
tablets, and the like.

The school uses Canvas. Which I do find pretty easy to use. I don't
really have any issues with it.

Also, I did get the package to learn how to use Powerpoint, and such.
The one that is sold by the people who gave us NVDA.

However, I have not had a chance to try and really look over any of it.

Now that I have shared all that, here is what we are supposed to be
covering in class.

Microsoft 365, set up. Opening word, setting up an account, and, word
ribbon.

Assignment, Microsoft Word screenshot upload practice.

Beginner's guide to Microsoft Word, APA outline example.

Assignment, create APA timplet.

Microsoft PowerPoint, I don't think he lists all the assignments yet,
for this.

Also, this is the last thing that he has listed, for now. But, he has
said that we will learn to use Microsoft Excel. As well as learning to
use, or create databases.

However, I do not know quite what this means, because he hasn't gone
into more detail about it.

I hope this might be of help?

If you all need more information, please just let me know. I will
certainly see what I can do.

What sorts of questions might I need to ask my disability services
office, in order to get help in this class?

Any other thoughts, and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you,

Terri