[NABS-L] Travel around campus

Terri Stimmel icecreamlover76 at outlook.com
Wed Feb 21 17:54:43 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

So, I am struggling to get around on my college campus. Please
understand, this is not a big campus at all. But, it is pretty spread
out. I think there are maybe six buildings in all. This is just a guess
though, really. And, some of them I will never need to visit. A couple
of the buildings, one of which is pretty important, is up a big hill,
and also across a busier road.

The disability services office has actually looked into putting a light
there, and having one of those accessible walk alerts installed. I don't
know though if they will be able to do this, or not. And, I haven't
heard anything about it in a while.

I am totally blind, and am a cane user. I have pretty decent mobility
skills. I have had some mobility training. A gentleman from the office
from where my rehab counselor is from, has met with me twice, at the
campus, to try and help me. And, I do believe that I am able to get one
more visit with him. I will need to make sure of this, though.

I do think that I am not remembering routes as well as I once was. Maybe
this is due to my age? I am not really sure what is going on there.

But every time I go to classes, I just can't really seem to remember
where I am going.

There aren't a lot of landmarks outside. But in the buildings, some of
the hallways are just layed out oddly. Even sighted friends, and staff
have told me that they still get confused. There are benches in some
areas, that I am able to use as reference points. But getting around
outside is really difficult for me.

The hallways seem to have little turns in them, and seem to be somewhat
curved, at times. It's really difficult to explain. And, every building
seems to have multiple entrances.

Right now, I have friends that help me navigate, when they can. This has
been a huge help for me. I use my cane, and they just give me verbal
directions, when I need them.

However, the disability services, office, feels that I need to do more
on my own, and not rely on others as much. I am not at all against this.
It is just a struggle though. And, I don't know how to make this
situation any better. Or, much different.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?

If so, what were some things that worked for you?

Any thoughts, and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Terri