[nagdu] Barking

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Tue Dec 16 15:24:39 UTC 2008

Hi Cyndy.  Do you also have a Fidelco dog? I have Beignet, my
first guide from Fidelco.  Have had her for 4 years now.  I was
trying to remember how John Byfield told me to teach "target" but
couldn't.  Good job with describing how to teach the command.  If
your dog is from Fidelmo, I might email you off list because I
have a question about teaching my dog to find pedestrian poles
and elevator buttons.  Would you use the same "target" command in
conjunction with the "find button" or "find pole" command?
I hope you can help me.  Didn't work on this with John because we
have so few lighted intersections in my area, but will be going
to Boston and other cities so want her to beccversent with this
skill.

complexity, such
>as making your dog touch an empty fist first then the fist with
the treat
>(before getting the treat) or being further from the dog and
making her come
>to you, sit and touch your hand before getting the treat.
Anyway, the basic
>idea is that you get your dog's attention via positive
reinforcement.  It has