[nagdu] Barking

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Dec 16 18:41:55 UTC 2008

Sure, you should try your very best to make it work.  Sure, you shouldn't
give up on a dog at the first signs of trouble.  But you must realize that
sometimes it will just never work.  Sometimes your very best effort is not
enough.  I speak from 28 years of experience.  When I was young, working
with my first and second dogs, I thought that hard work would solve every
problem.  I tended to harshly judge people who were obviously having
problems controlling their dogs.  Then I got my third dog, and he just was
not cut out for the job, at least not here.  He might have been fine in a
less stressful place than New York City, or even with the quieter life I
lead now, but he simply could not take the life I was living then, with a
long commute through very crowded places.  No amount of hard work could
change that. I felt like a failure at the time, but eventually I came to
realize that it was just not meant to be.

My dog is part of my family.  I'll do a lot to keep him happy and well,
and to make him the best guide he can be.  But if, say, my husband needed
to live somewhere else to be healthy and happy, we'd move.  If my dog
needed to live somewhere else to be healthy and happy, the dog would move,
and I would get a new dog who would be happy being where I need to be.
You have to consider your dog's needs, and yours as well.  There may be
times your dog's needs will come first, like if he's sick, but, if I'm
spending a great deal of time and effort for months to get the dog to do
the job he's supposed to be already trained to do, I think it's perfectly
reasonable to say "enough is enough" and give up on him.
Tracy