[nagdu] VERMONTS ice/snow pounding and DOGS!

Bunny Davidson bunnydavidson at live.com
Wed Dec 24 03:35:29 UTC 2008

Hi all,

well after what the paper called an inch of solid ice coating each blade of grass and tree...that had me and most of new england without power, water, phone for a weeek==we had
2 days of real cold, then 3 days of tons of snow, and more tons of snow, and big 30mph+ winds making the 18" of snow, more like waist high at the bottom of my steep icy snowy driveway , all in front of the door to house, and the door to barn!  Of Course the plow guys truck had a busted U joint during all the fun! LOL... well today (day 4) I was pleased to hear the beautiful scraping sound of the plow, harmonizing with the Beep Beep Beep of his truck in reverse as it make 8foot high snowbanks all ouround the base of my drive/entry to barn/house et... glorious music to my snowed in ears!

someone asked how us yankees deal with dogs in snow?
Well what i do is I  send my dogs out thru the basement to do their biz under the enclosed area beneath my 2nd floor deck.
(when i had deck built i had carpenter install metal roofing under decking so i could store stuff underneath it and not have weather ruin it.)
So my dogs go potty on the ground under my deck, snow free! I also have plywood and heavy plastic all around the perimiter to keep out the drifts and wind.
I clean up after them (it freezes quick in this weather) and toss the dooty bags into the wood stove to burn! (in africa they use elephant manure for heat/fire, so why not?)

Nice to hear about all the joy and fellowship folks get from sharing their lives with rats, ferrits and rescue pets...

Sugar ray is doing real well.  He had a trip to vet today for his second lyme disease booster, now he's good till next year.  He had all his other tests/shots  2 weeks ago.
Seeing that photo taken the day i adopted him from the shelter compared to now, is like night and day...
He has gained some healthy well needed weight, his ribs arent sticking out like they were, and his posture/spine is no longer curled down like he was just beaten.  he now stands straight
and doesnt have a cower posture at all.

I have taken him downtown and walked him thru traffic, sidewalks up alleys and around people, he was afraid at first and moved way too fast, but i am seeing him re-learn and slow down, and enjoy going out around folks.  He seems to be much younger than the 5 years the pound had guestimated him, i would say 1.5 or 2 years tops... He is quite the puppy in many ways, he enjoys fun, and finds every chance to bring me the stuffed animals or throw them to himself even... He also likes to get all bouncy around my older boxers... i am amazed at the way he has even gotten lady (my sr. with degenerative discs and arthritis) to romp and play with him.

do any of you have your pups in bed with you?  I must say 3 boxers and a mini poodle leave very little room for me! (queen size bed)... i have had to get out of bed and move them around a couple of times so i could have enough room to get off my side and lay on my back.  I have thought about maybe bringing the 3 beds they use on first floor upstairs at night, maybe i could re-claim my bed???? but then i wouldnt be as warm as when i have so much heat from them! LOL...

I have attatched 4 pictures of ladybug, my eldest boxer (soon to be retired) service dog, one picture of Big boy sunbathing on my deck (he was also a rescue 6 years ago) and then a boxer holiday greeting....
hope they all hang on here (sometimes the pic's dont show up)

Happy holidays to you all

Bunny & CO

Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032870/direct/01/