[nagdu] mardi & training a dog to replace hip-infirmed elder dog

Bunny Davidson bunnydavidson at live.com
Sun Dec 28 06:42:31 UTC 2008

HI all,
oh mardi how heartbreaking for you and also for your dog.
I have 3 boxers all rescued of the years, and one i trained 6 years ago
when she was new to me and 2 years old, now she is struggling much like you describe.
I had her xrayed and back then all was good, now her recent problems with keeping up, wanting to sit when we are
shopping et.. I had her xrayed again, she has degenerative discs in her lumbar spine.  sometimes she only walks on 3 legs cause of it.  I am giving her dog chewable joint and vitamins 2 x day and metacam RX, she gets the medicam in am on piece of bread (its liquid)... she thinks its a treat.  she is doing much better after only 30 days on this. no more carring the back leg, hardly any time she isnt ready to go without sitting to rest.

That issue is why i rescued Sugar ray back in Nov.  since I have a professional background in pet health care/dog training I feel I should get a dog who may be put down if not for me, and train him myself to be of service...leaving those who cant train and do behavior modification (rescues do come with surprizes)...

When i was younger, i raised and showed dogs (among other pet related pursuits) and several times I went thru all the screening/certification of both sire & dam and pups for eyes, hips, thyroid et...  and I donated a couple shephards to the kessler institute in morristown (are they still training guides?)  -

I have been spending time getting sugar used to basic stuff, so he wont panic if a big truck goes by, or lots of people are on the sidewalk et... (i am very rural so this requires a long trip over mountain), also teaching him about going in /out on leash-doors of different types (sliding, automatic, reg kind)... eventually i will teach him elevators and of course basic canine good citizenship stuff/obedience...  But while doing this stuff with Sugar Ray, i will still take lady out with me to work as long as she is not suffering (meds are working) and eventually alternate between the two dogs so lady wont get her nose out of joing (pecking order) and Sugar will ease into his new position in pack.

If you get a chance to speak with your vet, perhaphs mardi you can discuss some non steroidal inti inflamitories and some condroiten suppliments (sorry bout spelling)... I also would look into accupunture if there is someone near you who is a member of the american accupunture vet assoc...(i took lady a few times, it helps but 2.5 hours each way is too much.)

if anyone here has any feedback or helpful input please share, Lady has been my one and only service dog and Im just going on Gut and knowing dogs in my planning.

oh, and thanks to all of you who wrote kindly about the photos.

I will share then this description of sugar ray: his face droops on one side, the bottom eyelid hangs, the jaw sags, and the teeth are out of alignment on same side, and that causes the toungue to hang out when he is relaxed.  I sorta think he is the canine version of sylvester stallone of "rocky" fame...

time for sandman,
adios amigos
buenos noches
Bunny